+1 (858) 668.3288
Rated as one of the World’s Top 30 Leadership Gurus 2013 and Top 100 Thought Leaders in Management & Leadership (2008-2011), Maya Hu-Chan is an international management consultant, executive coach, author, and speaker.
She specializes in global leadership development, executive coaching and cross-cultural business skills. Harvard Business School has chosen her book Global Leadership: The Next Generation to be one of their Working Knowledge recommended books. This book was translated in multiple languages.
Experience and Education
Prior to her consulting career, Hu-Chan was an anchor for the China Broadcasting Company in Taiwan. She received her B.A. in Journalism from National Chengchi University in Taiwan, and Master’s degree from Annenberg School of Communications at the University of Pennsylvania. She has lectured at the Brookings Institution, University of California, San Diego (UCSD), University of Southern California (USC), Pennsylvania State University, and International MBA Program at University of Chicago.
Honors, Affiliation, and Community Service
- Voted World’s Top 30 Global Leadership Gurus for 2013 by Global Gurus
- Rated Top 100 Thought Leaders by Leadership Excellence Magazine (2008-2011)
- Named Top Leadership Guru from Asia by Leadership Guru International
- Nominated for “Woman of the Year” award by San Diego Magazine, 2010
- “Leading the Global Workforce Best Practice Award” by Linkage Inc.
- Founding Member, The Marshall Goldsmith Group
- Member, The Alexcel Group, The Institute of Executive Development, Human Capital Institute, Community Action Professionals
- Former Advisor of Worldwide Association of Business Coaches (WABC); Board of Director of the Girl Scouts, San Diego-Imperial County; Commission of the Status for Women (City of San Diego); Workforce Development Council; and Asian Business Association of San Diego
Research and Publications
Maya is a frequent contributor and interviewee to a wide range of business publications and media, including BusinessWeek, Harvard Business Online, Bloomberg, OD Practitioner, Leadership Excellence, Business Coaching Worldwide, SmartBrief on Leadership, Voice America’s Insight on Coaching and Asia Media. She is also a regular conference speaker.
In addition to Global Leadership: The Next Generation, she is also a contributing author to the following books:
- Handbook for Strategic HR: Best Practices in Organization Development from the OD Network
- Global Business Leadership
- AMA Handbook of Leadership (rated top 10 Business, Management & Labor Titles of 2010 by Choice)
- Developing Your Conflict Competence
- Best Practices in Leadership Development Handbook
- Leading the Global Workforce
- Best Practices in Leading the Global Workforce
- Coaching for Leadership: How the World’s Greatest Coaches Help Leaders Learn
- Partnering: The New Face of Leadership
- A Study in Excellence: Management in the Nonprofit Human Services”
Maya has also authored leadership resource guides for AT&T, Budget Rent-a-Car, Calpers, Eastman Kodak, Johnson & Johnson, AT&T Broadband, MGM Mirage Casinos & Resorts, Nortel, Schering-Plough, Siemens, Sun Microsystems, and US West. Some of her publications were translated into German, Spanish, and French.
Maya has an extensive list of publications on management, leadership, global business skills, and multicultural teambuilding. She also developed a well-received series about doing business in China, India, Taiwan, South Korea, Malaysia, and Singapore.
Maya has trained and coached thousands of leaders in Global Fortune 500 companies throughout North and South America, Asia, and Europe.
She has worked extensively in China, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, India, Korea and Japan, helping global companies to develop senior executives and high-potential leaders as well as teams. Maya is fluent in English and Mandarin Chinese.
Clients she has served include (partial list):
- Abbott Vascular
- Acushnet Company
- Agilent Technologies
- American Airlines
- Applied Materials
- Archer Daniels Midland
- A.T. Kearney
- Berkshire Life Insurance
- Black & Veatch
- Budget Rent-a-Car
- Callaway Golf
- Chase Manhattan Bank
- Cisco Systems
- City of San Diego
- Detroit Edison
- Dreyer’s Grand Ice Cream
- Fluor Corporation
- Generali Group
- Ingersoll Rand
- James Hardie
- Johnson & Johnson
- JTB (Japan Tourist Bureau)
- Kraft Foods
- Labatt Breweries
- Las Vegas Metro Police
- Lever Brothers Thailand
- LG Electronics
- Life Technologies
- Lockheed Martin
- Los Angeles Police Department
- Merrill Lynch
- New Balance
- National Oilwell Company
- Nature Conservancy
- Northern Telecom
- Northrop Grumman
- Ortho McNeil
- Parker Hannifin
- Procter & Gamble
- Semiconductor Research Corp.
- Southern California Edison
- Sun Microsystems
- Texas Instruments
- The Economist
- UBS Investment Bank
- Union Bank
- U.S. Postal Service
- University of Southern California
- U.S. Olympic Committee
- Warner Lambert
- W.L. Gore & Associates